This pasta bake actually turned out really nice. It's probably because I threw it together using leftover ingredients I had from dinner the night before - Chicken with Mushroom Sauce.
All I did was cook some pasta (I used spiral pasta), drain and lay into a greased baking dish. Stir through the mushroom sauce and add the cooked diced chicken, sprinkle generously with mozzarella cheese, cook in the oven until the cheese is brown and crusty. So easy when you have everything ready. If you wanted to make this dish from scratch then here is the recipe. This recipe would probably feed about 4 people.
- 300g chicken breast, cooked and diced
- Chicken Seasoning/Season All (Whatever you prefer to season with)
- half a packet of pasta (your choice)
- mozzarella cheese, shredded
For the sauce
- 300ml thickened cream
- 200g mushrooms, sliced
- chicken stock powder (optional)
- 1 tablespoon cornflour/flour
1. Cook the chicken according to preference and dice. Either pan fry/grill or boil it. I think pan frying is the tastiest but probably not the healthiest.
2. Make the sauce by sauteing mushrooms in some oil, when the mushrooms have softened remove them from the pan, into a bowl and stir through some cornflour or flour until the mushrooms absorb and look gluggly. Add cream back into the same pan, place the mushrooms back in, add in your seasoning. Simmer until sauce thickens.
3. Cook pasta and drain.
4. Grease baking dish, add chicken, sauce and pasta and mix through. Sprinkle genouroulsy with mozeralla cheese and cook in the oven until the top is golden brown and crusty.
5. Serve with salad.
You could omit the chicken if you didn't have any on hand.