Found this recipe off the Yemek Gunlugum website and tweaked it a little by adding some walnuts into the cake mixture.
Another great recipe which can be made on short notice, because most of the ingredients would be on hand. The only part where you might need a little patience is layering the apples on top, but it's well worth it.
For the cake:
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup oil
- ¾ cup sugar
- 1 cup plain flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon vanillin powder
- Handful of roughly crushed walnuts (optional)
- 2-3 apples, peeled and sliced thinly
- icing sugar to decorate
- To make the cake, mix all the ingredients together until well combined. (Add the walnuts after all the other ingredients are combined so mixing is easier)
- Preheat your oven to 175 degrees and empty the mixture into your greased cake tin.
- To layer up the apples, start from the side of your cake tin and work towards the centre. There is a way to ensure they don't sink into the cake mixture, set aside some plain flour in a small bowl, dip the bottom of the apple slice in some plain flour and push the floured side down onto the cake mixture at an angle.
- Bake your cake for about 30-35 minutes. May require more or less time according to your oven but I usually let it brown on top and test with a skewer. If the skewer comes out clean your cake is ready.
- When your cake has cooled down a little, sprinkle some icing sugar for decoration. If you have left over cake, just warm it up the microwave before serving.