This is the best chocolate home made cake recipe that I have come across. I absolutely love this recipe because it's so easy and I usually have the ingredients on hand to make it on short notice. The result is a cake that is moist and looks and tastes like those packet betty crocker mixes. You can also use the same recipe to make these cute little cupcakes.
What's even easier is that I use Nutella for my icing/topping. It tastes great and doesn't require any mixing! You could leave the icing out if you prefer and just dust the cakes with a little with icing sugar when serving.
- 1 1/3 cups plain flour (you can use self raising flour, just cut out the bicarb soda)
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup milk
- 2 eggs
- 125g butter, melted, cooled
- 1 teaspoon vanillin sugar
- Nutella/Chocalate Ganache or the usual chocolate butter icing.
- Preheat oven and grease muffin tins. I usually use those mini patty cases and just spray some canola oil in them.
- Sift flour, bicarb soda and cocoa into a bowl. Add in the sugar and vanillin sugar.
- In a seperate bowl or jug, combine the milk/buttermilk, eggs and melted butter.
- Make a well in the centre of the flour mix and pour in your wet mix.
- Use an electric mixer, first beat on low until the mixture is combined. Then increase the speed and beat the mixture until it looks creamy (a bit like mousse).
- Pour mixture into cake pan or into muffin tins and bake at 170 degrees for about 35 minutes if your baking a cake and about 15 minutes if your making the mini muffins.
- In either case I usually test to see if they are done by interting a knife to see if it comes out clean.
- Cool the cakes on a wire rack then ice with your preffered topping.