January 13, 2012

Banana Date Chocolate Chip Streusel Coffee Cake





Firstly, I should apologise for not blogging lately. I have realised it has been one year since my last post!!!

Thanks to some special guests that came to visit from London today, and some very ripe bananas crying out to be eaten in my fruit bowl...the result was this super yummy banana, date, choc chip struesel cake. Oh and of course, what brought it all together was the recipe - I should thank Elizabeth from FreeFoodBoston who originally found and adapted Megan's who found it at Epicurious. I should add, I did deviate from Elizabeth's and Megan's adaptation.

The original recipe uses walnuts in the struesel, however as I did not have any walnuts in my usually well stocked pantry, I did by great chance have some fresh dates in my fridge — Totally lucky! Perhaps one day I'll try the walnut version, but for the time being this cake is a keeper!

I also used less chocolate chips and self-raising flour instead of the whole wheat flour.

However, I should note that this recipe is quite sweet — the natural sweetness of the dates combined with sugar makes it quite rich. If you are wanting to use dates, but don't have such a sweet tooth, I would suggest you reduce the quantity of sugar used to 1/2 cup where it says 2/3 cup.

Banana Coffee Cake with Chocolate Chip Streusel
adapted from Elizabeth at FreeFoodBoston
Makes 12 servings
  • 1 1/4 cups semisweet chocolate chips - (I used 1 cup)
  • 2/3 cup (packed) brown sugar (use 1/2 cup if making with dates)
  • 1/2 cup chopped walnuts - (I used about 4 large fresh dates instead)
  • 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
  • 1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour - (I used self-raising flour)
  • 3/4 teaspoon baking soda - (I didn't use this)
  • 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 2/3 cup (packed) brown sugar (use 1/2 cup if making with dates)
  • 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
  • 1 large egg
  • 1 1/3 cups mashed very ripe bananas (about 3 large)
  • 3 tablespoons milk
Method

  1. Preheat oven to 180 degrees celcius. Butter and flour 8x8x2-inch metal baking pan.
  2. Stir chocolate chips, 2/3 c. brown sugar, walnuts or dates, and cinnamon in small bowl until well blended; set streusel aside.
  3. Combine flour, baking soda (if using Self Raising flour I guess you can leave this out), baking powder, and salt into medium bowl. Using electric mixer, beat 2/3 c. brown sugar, room temperature butter, and egg in large bowl until fluffy.
  4. Beat in mashed bananas and milk. Add dry ingredients and blend well.
  5. Spread half of batter (about 2 cups) in prepared baking pan. Sprinkle with half of streusel. Repeat with remaining batter and streusel.
  6. Bake coffee cake until tester inserted into center comes out clean, about 45 minutes. Cool coffee cake in pan on rack.

5 comments:

Elizabeth said...

Looks fabulous!

Dilzy said...

Thanks for the recipe!!

Ninni said...

I can easily say that this cake tasted like something from a bakery. It's a keeper.

Thanks dude.. yummy!

Sir. EatsAlot said...

It was nice, it had good texture but i agree with your comment as i found it very sweet. Excellent cake :D

Dilzy said...

Thanks Ninni and Sir. EatsAlot, glad you you both enjoyed it! Thanks for the comments :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...