These muffins are called "To Die for Blueberry Muffins", and you know what? it's really truly the best blueberry muffin recipe that I have come across to date! I think what sets this recipe apart from the others is the wonderful crumbly topping.
I found the recipe off All Recipes, however, as usual I modified the recipe. I did this by adding chocolate chips and reducing the sugar content.
To Die for Blueberry Muffins, with Choc Chip Streusel Topping
adapted from All Recipes,
makes 12 large muffins.
- 1 1/2 cups plain flour
- 3/4 cup white sugar (I put less than 3/4 cup, something like 1/2 cup + 2 tablespoons)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- 1/2 cup white sugar (I used brown sugar instead and only put in 1/3 cup)
- 1/3 cup plain flour
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup choc chips (a very full 1/2 cup that is) - (half will go in batter and the other half to go into the topping)
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees C. Line muffin tray with muffin liners.
- Combine 1 1/2 cups flour, 3/4 cup sugar (I used less), salt and baking powder.
- Place vegetable oil into a 1 cup measuring cup; add the egg and enough milk to fill the cup. Mix this with flour mixture.
- Fold in blueberries. Fold in half the chocolate chips which would be 1/4 cup worth. The rest of the chocolate chips will go in the topping.
- Fill muffin cups 3/4 of the way, I don't want mine to spill over the muffin liner, and there really is only enough batter to make 12 muffins so divide as evenly as possible.
- sprinkle with crumb topping mixture or otherwise called streusel
- To Make Crumb Topping: Mix together 1/2 cup sugar (I used 1/3 cup), 1/3 cup flour, 1/4 cup butter, 1/4 cup chocolate chips and 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon.Mix with fork (I used fingers), and sprinkle over muffins before baking. Note: If you want more crumb topping, then stick to the original measurements. I found when I reduced the
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes in the preheated oven, or until done.