March 21, 2009
Cracked Wheat Salad (Tabouli)
Finally I have gotten around to making my signature tabouli...just gotta put up the recipe.. Here is the pic though! I'm not too happy with the picture, but it will have to do for now.
A month or so later......
The base recipe that I am providing is for approximately 4 people. If you want to make more, measure 1/2 cup extra per person and just increase the remainder of the vege ingredients.
Now be warned - I never make tabouli to a specific formula. It always depends on how many people I am making it for and I usually just taste it at the end and add in whatever else I think is needed. The recipe below is a good basis to start with. You may need to adjust it.
Ingredients (4 Person)
2 cups cracked wheat
3-4 Tomatoes, diced
1 Onion, diced
Small bunch Spring onions (if on hand and if you prefer - not essential)
1 bunch parsley
1-2 Chillies, diced
2-3 tablespoons tomato paste
1 tablespoon red pepper powder
2 tablespoons Oil
Salt and pepper
1 1/2 cups Boiled Water
2 lemons, juiced
1. Add hot water to the cracked wheat and mix, let it stand, cover the top of the bowl so the cracked wheat softens.
2. Chop up all the vege ingredients and add to the mix.
3. Add in seasonings and tomato paste.
4. Wash your hands well and then use them to mix and squish the ingredients together like you are kneading dough. (You can use spoons to mix but this method is better.)
5. Taste test before serving - you may need to add in more lemon juice, oil, salt, more tomatoes or parsley depending on what you think it is missing.
6. Serve with lettuce leaves, Pohca (Cheese pastries)...yummo.